カールスルーエ日本庭園 Karlsruhe Japanese Garden

国名:
ドイツ
Country:
Germany
住所:
カールスルーエ
Address:
Karlsruhe
竣工年/Date Opened:
1967
分類:
海外の公的機関による設置
Category:
Foreign Public Places
様式等:
池泉回遊式(一部茶庭)
Style:
Stroll Garden and Tea House
面積/Area:
6,000m2
依頼主:
カールスルーエ市
Client:
Karlsruhe City
設計:
上原敬二
Designer:
Uehara Keiji
施工:
上原敬二、日本人庭師3名、現地のトルコ人労働者
Contractor:
Uehara Keiji, 3 Japanese Gardeners, Turkish Contractor
リンク/Link:
 

現在の日本庭園は、1967年にカールスルーエ市の中央公園(シュタットガルテン)で、ドイツ連邦園芸博覧会が開催されるにあたり、上原敬二が依頼されて増築改修したもの。この庭園はもともと1914年頃ひょうたん池を中心とした日本庭園が、現地の人々によって造られたことに始まる。その後、1923年頃に新潟医大で教えた地元のクレッグ教授の発案により、日本の小詞の建立が企てられた。これは日本人にも反響を呼び、総桧造りの小詞と狛犬が日本から運ばれ、現地で造られた鳥居と共に1927年に建てられて体裁を整え、日本庭園として開園した。この庭園の敷地は約1,000坪(3,300㎡)であった。以後、1938年には名古屋大学勝沼精蔵教授は、名古屋市長らと相談し名古屋から石造の十三重の塔を寄贈して設置された。
上原による庭園改修は滝流れを加えて池を改修し、十三重の塔の位置を奥の築山に変更したこと、さらに通を挟んだ公園の池畔に約800坪(2,640㎡)の枯山水庭園を新設したことである。この枯山水は地元産の花崗岩を使用し、アメリカ軍のクレーン車を借用して施工したという。庭園の維持管理主体が市の公園局から、カールスルーエ日本庭園協会に移管されたのち、サクラやツバキが植栽されている。基本的な庭園維持管理は市公園局の職員が当たっており、現在も、地元カールスルーエ市民に愛されて良好な管理状態となっている。

資料出典および備考
1)上原敬二(1983):この目で見た造園発達史:「この目で見た造園発達史」刊行会,pp221-231. 2)上原敬二(1983):造園大系第2巻 庭園論:加島書店, pp. 12-20. 
3)http://www.djg-karlsruhe.de/htm/japanInfo/Japangarten/Impressionen/Index.htm

This garden was originally constructed by local residents in 1913-1914, making it one of the earliest Japanese gardens in Europe. A Shinto shrine was added in 1927 at the suggestion of a German professor who had taught at Niigata Medical College in 1923. Two stone guardian dogs and a large Torii of Hinoki cypress were brought from Japan at that time. The total area of the original garden site was about 3,300 square meters. Professor Katsunuma Seizo and the City of Nagoya donated a 23-story stone pagoda which was erected in 1938. Though the garden was damaged in World War II, it was rehabilitated and enlarged under the direction of Uehara Keiji in 1967 for the German Garden Exhibition held in Karlsruhe that year. Uehara increased the waterfall flow and repaired the pond. He also created a dry landscape Japanese garden of about 2,640 square meters using local granite; it is said that US forces helped execute the work.
Entrance to the garden is through a red Torii gate, and a path winds along a stream leading to a pond. A small pavilion stands next to the waterfall which feeds the pond. Ownership of the garden was transferred to the German-Japanese Society of Karlsruhe in 1994. Since then, the group has planted several cherry trees and camellias. The garden continues to be maintained by the City of Stadtgarten.