日本庭園 Ethiopia Japanese garden at the National Palace Renovated
In February 1958, a Japanese expert in landscape gardening named Mr. Noboru Hashimoto arrived in Addis Ababa. He designed this Japanese Garden as per the Emperor’s instruction in the backyard of the Palace. His garden design was approved by the Emperor in October 1958. Based upon his plan, engineering works were carried out by Ethiopians while the gate, the roofs of the huts and some stone sculptures were taken care of by Italians. The seedlings of many trees planted in the garden were imported from Japan. They included Japanese black pines, maples, azaleas, camellias and so on, but only a few remain today. The Garden, 4,240 square meters, had a small cascade, a stream, a pond, two huts, stone lanterns, bamboo bushes and so on, creating a beautiful landscape. In November 1960, the then Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince Akihito and Crown Princess Michiko, now the Emperor and Empress of Japan, paid an official visit to Ethiopia, the first overseas trip after their royal marriage. They stayed at this Jubilee Palace and enjoyed walking in this Japanese Garden. They still have a very clear memory of their pleasant stay here.
excerpted from Embassy of Japan in Ethiopia（http://www.et.emb-japan.go.jp/as130401.html）